Friday, February 29, 2008

Julia Alysse is Here!


Julia Alysse was born on Sunday, 2/24/08, at 5:44 pm. She was 7 lbs 8 oz and 20 inches long. (They orginally told us 18.5 but was remeasured at 20) She was 12 days early, but obviously right on time for her. The following is the in-depth story of my labor, so if you aren't interested, just skip down to the pictures.



We went to Chuck E' Cheese with our good friends, the Sinks, Saturday night and that's when my contractions began but they were very random and just strong enough to make my face red. When we got home, I packed up everything for the hospital so we'd be ready if we needed to go and we went to bed. I had regular contractions all throughout the night and by 3 am they were 10 mins apart. Because my contractions never got regular until about 2 hours before Eliana was born, we decided I had better get checked; I wasn't sleeping anyway. They checked me at around 4 am and I was only a 3. I didn't progress in an hour so they sent us home. We came home and tried to sleep. My contractions were still regular and strong enough to wake me up but not close enough together to warrant another trip to the hospital. We decided to send Eliana to church with the Sinks and go for a walk to see what would happen. Before we left, I showered and my contractions got to 5 mins apart. Since I was to deliver at the Jordan Valley hospital in West Jordan (about a half hour drive), we decided to walk closer to the hospital. We went to the South Towne Mall in Sandy walked some brisk laps. After about 45 mins my contractions were really strong, less than 5 mins apart and I was starting to feel naseauted. I was determined to be atleast dilated to a 5 before we went back to the hospital. When we got there, around 3:30 pm I was dilated to a 6 and 100% effaced. Summer, my good friend and doula (more to come about Summer and Doulas) met us there then and the real laboring began. I had decided to go natural and Summer was there to help Christian and I know what to do to make things go more smoothly. I spent about an hour in and out of the whirlpool tub and then got checked, I was at a 9.5. I got on my side in the bed and got ready to push. At this point, I had a moment of doubt in myself and just wanted the contractions to stop! Summer and Christian reasuured me and reminded me I was almost there. My amazing Doctor, Dr. Hansen got there just in time, I pushed once and Julia's head came out and pushed again and the rest of her body came out! It was amazing! The first picture is of Julia right after coming out! It was so amazing to hold her right away! I felt so grateful that she was here! It is a feeling like no other!

Dr. Hansen with us! He is the BEST doctor ever! Christian giving Julia a Biment... (Danish for eskimo kiss, I think!)

Looking up at me! "So this is who I've been with all this time!"

Eliana brought Julia a teddy bear! She is SO SO SO SO excited to be a big sister!

No comments: