Friday, May 29, 2009

Owwwwww!

This is a painful entry for me to make, thus the small pictures again, but I feel I need to make it just in case it helps someone else prevent this from happening. Almost 2 weeks ago, while I was showering, Julia got a glass off my nightstand. I saw that she had it and got out as fast as I could, but obviously not fast enough. I couldn't see what happened but heard a crash and scream and jumped out to find her leg seriously sliced. I wrapped her leg up in a towel and had Eliana get my phone. She helped me call Christian and he left work right away. He got home, we took her to urgent care where they told us that she needed stitches which they couldn't do and to take her to the hospital ER for stitches. They recommended we go to Chandler b/c it's better and faster, so we did. They were very fast, the Dr. looked at it and said yes, she needed stitches and sent us to the PA and nurse to do it. Well, they decided it would be better to glue it and told us all the reasons why we should have them do so, including much less pain for our Julsie. We agreed that would be good, since they were in fact the experts not us. They said there was a small chance that it could come undone but they were pretty sure it would work great. As you can see in the first picture, the glue came undone, within 24 hours. I called or pediatrician and he said there was nothing we could do now, and that they should have never glued her leg. That first of all glue doesn't hold well on body parts which move (such as legs and arms) and that second with a toddler, it is even more unlikely to hold. How FRUSTRATING for us!! I feel so bad for her! She is going to have one big scar! Do scars stretch to take up the same amount of her leg as the leg gets bigger??? I don' t know.
So here it is at the beginning of this week. At least it is healing and she doesn't even care but it makes me so so so so so SAD!
Lessons Learned that I want to share:
1. Never leave a glass where your toddler can reach it. Also, they sometimes grow so fast you don't realize they can reach it when they can so keep a close eye on this.
2. If stitches are needed, DO NOT let them glue your child's leg or arm or anywhere else that has a lot of movement. I wish I had known that!

5 comments:

LaCee said...

poor thing! Hope she's feeling better.

P.S. I'll take one of the "Stimulus Packages" Location Salt Lake City Utah. Let me know what day works for you:)

Tierra said...

I am so sorry that happened. I feel so bad. I hope it heals fast.

Amanda said...

I don't think it'll scar that bad. Probably won't even notice it much in a few years.

Anonymous said...

the same thing happened to natalee except hers was smaller and by her knee. we took her to the urgent care here and they gave her 4 stitches. it was so sad but like you said, lesson learned!

Jenolyn Christensen said...

Poor Julsie. Although I'm sure it was much more painful to mommy than to her.